Re: [GENERAL] Help: Installing 9.6 breaks local connections to 9.2 onCentos 6.9 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Help: Installing 9.6 breaks local connections to 9.2 onCentos 6.9
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/16/2017 01:00 AM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 22:35 -0700, Ken Tanzer wrote:
>> https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2409
>
> Not sure whether we should *fix* this or not on RPM side. This may break some
> of the existing installations, right?
>
> I'm not objecting, just asking for opinions.

To me the principle of least surprise says that it should be fixed. At
this point a pre-9.4 server is putting its socket where the primary
client library(libpq) to said server cannot find it if a 9.4+ server is
installed. The options seem to be:

1) Use the libpq appropriate for each Postgres version.

2) Modify the postgresql.conf to point at the socket directory that the
controlling libpq is looking for. I could see this being messy.

3) Document the change in behavior. Possibly here:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

PostgreSQL Yum Repository

--
Adrian Klaver