Re: [GENERAL] Generating sample data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Generating sample data
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/27/2016 12:06 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016, Steve Crawford wrote:
>
>> You could start here:
>> http://www.softwaretestingmagazine.com/tools/open-source-test-data-generators/
>>

>> I have rolled my own on occasion by just pulling some public lists of
>> most
>> common given names and family names and toing a full-join. Same for city,
>> streets, etc.
>
> Steve,
>
>   Thanks very much for the URL. One application is small (7 tables), the
> other is three times that size (23 tables). If I need to find public domain
> data on the Web, I'll do that.

What sort of data do you want to create?

If it is the standard contact information then the previously mentioned
tools are sufficient.

If it is data specific to a field of study then things might get trickier.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com