Re: COPY FROM how long should take? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Condor
Subject Re: COPY FROM how long should take?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 17:49:35 +0530, Jayadevan M wrote:

> Date: 08/26/2011 05:40 PM
> Subject: [GENERAL] COPY FROM how long should take ?
> Sent by: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
>
> Hello,
> today I try to restore on of my tables with copy from file that I made
> before.
> The file is 2.4 GB, only integers ... took me 3 hours and 30 min and I
> hit
> CTRL+C on i7 processor with 8 GB memory, sata 2 hard drive. I modify
> some
> psql conf file values and increase memory, work, wal, temp, check point
> segments to 55
> Is that normal ? Whole file is 37 mil lines. When I hit enter it was on
> line
> as logs says 26 million. I run it twice and second time after 45 min I
> again hit
> CTRL+C and in logs I see it was again on 26 million line. Well, the
> line number
> is approximately. Is everything normal ?
>
> Postgresql 9.0.4
'It was on 26 million line' - does this mean there were 26 million records in the table? I was migrating data from Oracle to PostgreSQL, using ora2pg with COPY option and in under 3 hours it easily copied a table that was 10 GB in size. Are you seeing any errors in postgres log file? In my case, the number of records in postgresql table stopped increasing after some time and I realized data transfer was failing. I checked the log file for errors,corrected the data issues in the source table (Oracle) and it finished the load without issues.

Regards,
Jayadevan

Whole file is approximately 32 million lines = 32 million records. I check log file no any errors.

--
Regards,
Condor