Re: Damaged (during upgrade?) table, how to repair? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From W.P.
Subject Re: Damaged (during upgrade?) table, how to repair?
Date
Re: Damaged (during upgrade?) table, how to repair?  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
W dniu 02.07.2021 o 21:05, Adrian Klaver pisze:
> On 7/2/21 10:18 AM, W.P. wrote:
>> W dniu 02.07.2021 o 17:16, Adrian Klaver pisze:
>

>>> So you have backup of the failed machine's disk stored somewhere else?
>>

>> No, I have disc from this machine, looks not damaged (random files).
>> Only problem that OS does not boot beyond "emergency mode".
>
> I would say your second sentence contradicts your first.

Nope ;). There was 1 500GB disc, with Fedora24 and Postgres 9.5. Then
copied "sector by sector" (and resized partitions, volumes, fs) to 1TB
one. This was my "working" disc.

For test, now I have put it (500GB) in another laptop, then upgraded F24
to F30 (step by step, once I had to do manually "pg_upgrade", ARAIR this
was at PG10->PG11 step).

Now I did my crazy move, removed battery and power while "suspend to
RAM". OS (F24! @ 1TB) don't start anymore (beyond "emergency").

I use now this upgraded disc (500GB), copying files for daily work from
1TB one attached to OPi4.

Will try, if I can achieve PG9.5 run on that "non working" one. If so,
and dumpall is OK, then files on this are mainly intact (except for
NetworkManager)...

> In any case, we got to this point as the upgrade(more information on
> how that was done would be nice) from the 9.5 instance to 11.12
> failed. Given that there is good chance that was due to corruption of
> files in the Postgres cluster on the above disc, it is very probable
> that going back to that disk will repeat the problem. Still see more
> below.

I did a "step-by-step" OS upgrade using dnf, and (once) manual
pg_upgrade (when there was no "automatic" upgrade, db failed to start).

>>> Otherwise how are you going to get the 9.5 instance to the new machine?
>>>
>> In modern Postgres I've seen there is possibility to have several
>> (different versions) "clusters" on same machine.
>>
>> My question (for now) is how to do it?
>
> I'm going to say the easiest way to do this on the new machine would
> be to build 9.5 from source:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/installation.html
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v9.5.25/
>
> This will require installing development packages on your new machine.

Ok, should be easy :)

But what PREFIX should I use during configure step?
"/usr/lib/postgresql/"? And what about location of config files?

>> (I can see PG10 somewhere in /usr/pgsql/postgresql-10/ - bin, lib,
>> share, postgresql-9.6 is empty).
>
> Where do you see the above, old machine or new machine?

500GB disc, after system upgrade.

Laurent