64bit Opteron multi drive raid. Help with best config settings - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David B
Subject 64bit Opteron multi drive raid. Help with best config settings
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi folks,

I'm about to start testing PGv8 on an Opteron 64bit box with 12GB Ram
running RedHat.
A bunch of raided drives in the backend.

Expecting 50GB of data per month (100GB+ initial load).

I do not see any example config settings. Have some MySql experience
and and for it there are config settings for small or large server
operations.

Does PG have similar examples (if so they are well hidden…at least
from Google search<g>).

If not can any of you send me a typical config for such an environment.
I basically want to get a good setting so I can good insert
performance…low vol selects.

DB data consists of customer info and their call history.
Lots of customers…lots of call history. Not that wide of rows.

Want to be able to insert at rate of 1000's per sec. Should think thats poss.

Any help you folks can provide to optimize this in a shootout between
it and MSql (we hope to be move from Oracle)

Tx,
David