Re: [GENERAL] A change in the Debian install - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] A change in the Debian install
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/06/2017 03:16 PM, rob stone wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-04-05 at 21:14 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>>
>> What repos are you using, the Debian or the PGDG one?
>>
>> I guess the question I should really ask is, are you using a repo or
>> some other method to upgrade?
>>

> Upgraded from standard Debian repos.
>
> Nothing else was changed other than the binaries.
> It appears that the prior version obtained postgresql.conf from the
> PGDATA path whilst the 9.6.2-2 looked in the Postgres /etc paths where
> it tried to use the conf file, and as a consequence, the autovacuum
> daemon was not started.
> I removed the Postgres /etc conf file and as it didn't find one there,
> fell back to the PGDATA path and all is well.
>

>> That is packaging dependent. When using the Debian/Ubuntu
>> postgresql-common system the postgresql.conf will be in
>> /etc/postgresql/version/cluster_name/
>>

> I'm quite happy with the standard /etc/postgresql/major_version/main
> method of installation. It means you can run different major versions
> on the same box.

Which is what has me confused. If you are using the postgresql-common
system then the *.conf files should be in
/etc/postgresql/version/cluster_name/.

Where exactly is PGDATA and why is the *.conf file there?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com