Re: What is the max number of database I can create in an instance of pgsql? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: What is the max number of database I can create in an instance of pgsql?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 11/18/05, anon permutation <anonpermutation@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We want to create a database for each one of our departments, but we only
> want to have one instance of postgresql running.  There are about 10-20
> departments.  I can easily use createdb to create these databases.  However,

After of doing this, you have to think if you will want to make querys
across the info of some or all databases (and you will) if that is the
case the better you can do is create schemas instead of databases...

> what is the max number of database I can create before performance goes
> down?

the problem isn't about number of databases but concurrent users...
after all you will have the same resources for 1 or 100 databases, the
important thing is the number of users, the amount of data normal
users will process in a normal day, and complexity of your queries.

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova