Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Platon Pronko
Subject Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi!

>> I don't think that would be a good idea. If somebody really just needs to
>> copy,
>> then wrapping the query in "copy (...) to stdout" already works nicely,
>> no need to create a special mode just for that.
>>

> It is working well, but it is copy to file, not copy to clipboard.

Maybe I misunderstood - are you suggesting this a special mode in pspg? I thought
that you were suggesting to implement a mode in psql, something like
"\pset format_for_clipboard".

>> I think the question was more about being able to copy in an ad-hoc way,
>> in the middle of scrolling trough "normal" output.
>
> I understand your motivation, but I don't feel a significant benefit to
> increase the complexity of the main format (more, when it breaks pspg,
> without possibility to fix it). but it can depend on usual data, and it is
> true, so when I use pspg, I don't use extended mode too often.

To clarify: I'm not suggesting my patch anymore - it definitely breaks pspg and this
is completely unacceptable.
We're just discussing the possible alternate solutions, I think.

Best regards,
Platon Pronko