Re: O_DIRECT in freebsd - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sailesh Krishnamurthy
Subject Re: O_DIRECT in freebsd
Date
List pgsql-hackers
   Jordan> significantly better results.  I would not say it requires   Jordan> considerable tuning, but an
understandingof data, storage   Jordan> and access patterns.  Additionally, these features did not   Jordan> cause our
groupconsiderable administrative overhead.

I won't dispute the specifics. I have only worked on the DB2 engine -
never written an app for it nor administered it. You're right - the
bottomline is that you can get a significant performance advantage
provided you care enough to understand what's going on.

Anyway, I merely responded to provide a data point. Will PostgreSQL
users/administrators care for additional knobs or is there a
preference for "keep it simple, stupid" ?

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh