Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Anastasia Lubennikova
Subject Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02.11.2020 16:23, Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 11:35:25AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On 2020-10-06 12:26, Magnus Hagander wrote:
I went with the name --no-instructions to have the same name for both
initdb and pg_upgrade. The downside is that "no-instructions" also
causes the scripts not to be written in pg_upgrade, which arguably is a
different thing. We could go with "--no-instructions" and
"--no-scripts", but that would leave the parameters different. I also
considered "--no-next-step", but that one didn't quite have the right
ring to me. I'm happy for other suggestions on the parameter names.
What scripts are left after we remove the analyze script, as discussed in a
different thread?
There is still delete_old_cluster.sh.
I wonder if we should just not do it and just say "you should delete
the old cluster". Then we can leave it up to platform integrations to
enhance that, based on their platform knowledge (such as for example
knowing if the platform runs systemd or not). That would leave us with
both pg_upgrade and initdb printing instructions, and not scripts, and
solve that part of the issue.

Do we only care about .sh scripts? There are also reindex_hash.sql and pg_largeobject.sql in src/bin/pg_upgrade/version.c with instructions.
How should we handle them?
--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company