Re: installation problem, for Postgres 8.2.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shoaib Mir
Subject Re: installation problem, for Postgres 8.2.0
Date
List pgsql-general
The case here is that he might be using a RPM which is for FC5 and been used on FC4 which is why it keeps on looking for so.5 as libreadline.so.5 is the updated libreadline.so.4 in FC5.

I have tried making symlinks (workaround) in the past and that worked for me this way when I used a FC5 built RPM on FC4 :)

---------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

On 12/11/06, Dave Page < dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
Shoaib Mir wrote:
> Logged in as 'root' user do the following:
>
> ln -s /usr/lib/libreadline.so.4 /usr/lib/libreadline.so.5
>
> And then continue with the installation....

I'm no RPM expert, but doesn't a failed RPM dependency require that you
install the correct RPM rather than adding probably-incompatible
symlinks between different major versions of a library?

I'd suggest finding and installing a libreadline5 RPM.

Regards, Dave