Storing images in database for web applications - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Storing images in database for web applications
Date
Re: Storing images in database for web applications  ("Massa, Harald Armin" <chef@ghum.de>)
Re: Storing images in database for web applications  (Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of storing and getting images to and from a database?  We currently have the problem of images being uploaded to a single gateway used by many companies, most of which run several websites.  As it stands, once they upload the image, it then has to be fsync'd to the appropriate servers (3-way in some cases) or accessed through our image proxy.

But now we wish to redesign our various image upload systems into one system which will also make images available across various sites/companies and therefore servers.  So one solution is to store images in a database.  What I'm wondering is if this is an appropriate solution?  What are the downsides?  Could we expect severe performance hits?  To help mitigate the issue of many sites continuously querying a database for images, we'd implement a caching system, so images would only be queried from the database probably around once an hour.

The benefits I can see is that images are managed in one place and accessibly easily by all servers.  The problem is putting everything in one place (all eggs in one basket), so if the server goes down, all sites lose their images once their cache has expired... unless we implemented a system that falls back to cache if connection fails, even if cache has expired.

Any suggestion?  Alternatives?

Thanks

Thom