Re: Insert image into bytea question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From George Roberge
Subject Re: Insert image into bytea question
Date
List pgsql-novice
On April 30, 2014 9:31:10 PM EDT, David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
groberge wrote
Greetings, all.

This might be a stupid question, but I have not found one good post or
article on the syntax for inserting an image into a PostgreSQL table
bytea field on the Internet.

I am currently learning version 9.1, which I had read should work pretty
well for inserting and retrieving images in the bytea format, but i
don't know how. I have seen examples of the bytea_import command (which
I couldn't get to work), and other posts that state that the image must
be encoded using a "SELECT encode(XXXX)" statement in the query. I had
originally intended to store the location of the image into a field in
the database and just pull that reference from the table, and was
hopeful when I saw that PostgreSQL can handle storing images directly,
and that it may be even be the preferred method in some cases.

I have been looking online for a couple of hours and have left the Net
about as confused as when I started! I think that some of the reason is
that this appears to be a newer method of doing things, and I have been
reading older information.

Any guidance that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
George R.

The easiest way is to do things the same way you would store and retrieve a
number or text in your programming language of choice; but of course send
the image bytes variable contents instead of the text variable contents.

There should not be any need to encode/decode if your language provides a
decent API.

You likely do not want to use the large object API (lo_*) but deciding
between data and links requires application and usage knowledge. The main
trade-off is database size (and thus ease of backup/upgrade, etc...) and
administrative overhead synchronizing the data library and the database.

David J.

Ok, very good, thanks to everyone who replied! I was hoping to see a methos within PostgreSQL itself (via INSERT or something), but I can test out a method using PHP instead, since that's the ultimate destination, anyhow.

Thank you again,
George R.
--
George Roberge
www.andforthelamb.org

Computers are like air conditioners: both stop working
when you open Windows.