Re: PostgreSQL - How to login with my Linux user account - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: PostgreSQL - How to login with my Linux user account
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/28/23 07:00, Amn Ojee Uw wrote:
> First of all, my gratitude to Adrian and David for taking the time to
> reply to my call for help; a 1k  thanks to you kids.
>
> Having stated the above, PostgreSQL provides a default database namely
> 'postgres'. Taking advantage of this service, I have change the 'psql'
> statement to 'psql -d postgres -U my_linux_user_name -W', I then entered
> my Linux account login password and got this error messages :
> /*$ psql -d postgres -U my_linux_user_name -W *//*
> *//*Password: *//*
> *//*psql: error: connection to server on socket
> "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  Peer authentication
> failed for user "my_linux_user_name"*/

1) See

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-peer.html

2) What OS are you on and how did you install Postgres?

3) Try

sudo -u postgres psql postgres

4) Provide the content of pg_hba.conf that starts at the line below

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                 METHOD

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com