Re: Latest advice on SSD? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Latest advice on SSD?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12/05/18 02:48, Evgeniy Shishkin wrote:

>> On May 11, 2018, at 15:11, Mark Kirkwood
>> <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz
>> <mailto:mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz>> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/05/18 23:23, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
>>
>>> På onsdag 09. mai 2018 kl. 22:00:16, skrev Andreas Joseph Krogh
>>> <andreas@visena.com <mailto:andreas@visena.com>
>>> <mailto:andreas@visena.com>>:
>>>
>>>    FWIW; We're testing
>>>    this:
>>> https://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/1U/1029/SYS-1029U-TN10RT.cfm
>>>    with 4 x Micron NVMe 9200 PRO NVMe 3.84TB U.2 in RAID-10:
>> These Micron disks look interesting (pretty good IOPS and lifetime
>> numbers). However (as usual with Micron, sadly) no data about power
>> off safety. Do you know if the the circuit board has capacitors?
>
> According to
> https://www.micron.com/~/media/documents/products/data-sheet/ssd/9200_u_2_pcie_ssd.pdf
> <https://www.micron.com/%7E/media/documents/products/data-sheet/ssd/9200_u_2_pcie_ssd.pdf>
>
> The SSD supports an unexpected power loss with a power-backed write
> cache. No userdata is lost during an unexpected power loss. When power
> is subsequently restored, theSSD returns to a ready state within a
> maximum of 60 seconds.

Excellent, and thanks for finding the details - note the document
explicitly states that they have capacitor backed power loss protection.
So looking good as a viable alternative to Intel's S4500, S4600, P4500,
P4600 range. One point to note - we've been here before with Micron
claiming power loss protection and having to retract it later (Crucial
M550 range...I have 2 of these BTW) - but to be fair to Micron the
Crucial range is purely consumer and this Micron 9200 is obviously an
enterprise targeted product. But some power loss testing might be advised!

Cheers
Mark