Re: Advice on RAID card - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mike Rylander
Subject Re: Advice on RAID card
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 9/25/05, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
> I would think software raid would be quite inappropriate considering
> postgres when it is working is taking a fair amount of CPU as would
> software RAID. Does anyone know if this is really the case ?

I attempted to get some extra speed out of my Compaq/HP SA6404 card by
using software RAID1 across to hardware RAID10 sets.  It didn't help,
but there was no noticeable load or drop in performance because of it.
 Granted, this was on a 4-way Opteron, but, anecdotally speaking, the
linux software RAID has surprisingly low overhead.

My $0.02, hope it helps.

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander@gmail.com