Re: Opteron vs Xeon (Was: What to do with 6 disks?) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mike Rylander
Subject Re: Opteron vs Xeon (Was: What to do with 6 disks?)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 4/20/05, Anjan Dave <adave@vantage.com> wrote:
> In terms of vendor specific models -
>
> Does anyone have any good/bad experiences/recommendations for a 4-way
> Opteron from Sun (v40z, 6 internal drives) or HP (DL585 5 internal
> drives) models?

We are going with the 90nm HPs for production.  They "feel" like
beefier boxes than the Suns, but the Suns cost a LOT less, IIRC.
We're only using the internal drives for the OS.  PG gets access to a
fibre-channel array, HP StorageWorks 3000.  I _can't wait_ to get this
in.

Our dev box is a 130nm DL585 with 16G of RAM and an HP SCSI array, and
I have absolutely zero complaints.  :)

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander@gmail.com