Re: WAL/pg_xlog on Another Disk: Redundancy? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Rylander
Subject Re: WAL/pg_xlog on Another Disk: Redundancy?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:38:45 -0600, Thomas F.O'Connell <tfo@sitening.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Would a more ideal setup be a six-drive server with a RAID 1+0 on four
> drives with 2 drives dedicated to WAL that mirrored one another? Is
> that overkill? Anyone have recommendations for an appropriate setup for
> a 5-bay server?

A six drive setup would be great.  You definitly want some protection
for the WAL data.  I've seen up to a 20% increase on write-heavy
servers after moving pg_xlog to it's own disk.

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander@gmail.com