FreeBSD: SMP and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From rusland@scn.ru (Ruslan A Dautkhanov)
Subject FreeBSD: SMP and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

   The FreeBSD 5.0 released recently. Some phrases from release notes:
 ". . .   SMP support has been largely reworked, incorporating code from
       BSD/OS 5.0. One of the main features of SMPng (``SMP Next Generation'')
       is to allow more processes to run in kernel, without the need for
       spin locks that can dramatically reduce the efficiency of multiple
       processors   . . .".

   Reading this release notes I see only this great improvement vs 4.7 version,
 which can help for SQL server. On other hand FreeBSD 5.0 have totally
 redesigned kernel, I m afraid to setup productional DB to it.
   We had bought PC with 2xPIII, which will be dedicated PostgreSQL server.
 Old releases (4.7, for example) also supports SMP, but worse comparative with
 version 5 as described in above mentioned release notes. Please say,
 if anybody test SMP in FreeBSD for PostgreSQL - really Postgres with v5.0
 will "dramatically" increase SQL server performance?

   Thanks a lot for any advance for this question.

 --
 best regards,
 Ruslan A Dautkhanov