Re: How to generate unique hash-type id? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Kramer
Subject Re: How to generate unique hash-type id?
Date
List pgsql-general
We have bunch of servers running the app and rebuilding postgres with
support for ossp_uuid on all servers is time consuming.
Is there a way of doing it without third party dependency like
ossp_uuid? Should I just run md5(random number), will itbe the same ?.
According to description it seems that all uuid_generate_v4() does is
simply generate md5 of random number.

Thanks.