Re: SSD + RAID - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: SSD + RAID
Date
Re: SSD + RAID
Re: SSD + RAID
List pgsql-performance
2009/11/13 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>:
> As far as what real-world apps have that profile, I like SSDs for small to
> medium web applications that have to be responsive, where the user shows up
> and wants their randomly distributed and uncached data with minimal latency.
> SSDs can also be used effectively as second-tier targeted storage for things
> that have a performance-critical but small and random bit as part of a
> larger design that doesn't have those characteristics; putting indexes on
> SSD can work out well for example (and there the write durability stuff
> isn't quite as critical, as you can always drop an index and rebuild if it
> gets corrupted).

I am right now talking to someone on postgresql irc who is measuring
15k iops from x25-e and no data loss following power plug test.  I am
becoming increasingly suspicious that peter's results are not
representative: given that 90% of bonnie++ seeks are read only, the
math doesn't add up, and they contradict broadly published tests on
the internet.  Has anybody independently verified the results?

merlin