Re: creating a function with another function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: creating a function with another function
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 02:12:35PM -0500, Dave Huber wrote:
>> Is it possible to execute a CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION with another
>> function or even have a function modify itself?
>
> Yes, but doing any of that is a sign that you're working with a broken
> design.  That, or you're looking to make an entry in the International
> Obfuscated Database Programming Contest ;)

Surely, there are valid cases of having a function create a function.
Suppose (just off the top of my head), you create a helper function
that generates triggers on a table for record archiving.

I agree though that having a function modify itself sounds like
something that is much better done as dynamic sql (inside a function).

merlin