Re: composite type and domain - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: composite type and domain
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/5/25 Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com>:
> Why is it not possible to create domain on composite type ?
>
> Consider the example, I got (a bytea, b timestamp, c timestamp). Where
> b < c always, and both b and c have some default value, a can stay
> null.
> Now, I don't want to go berserk, and create aditional table for that,
> because type is shared between two tables. But it would be nice, to be
> able to create domain based on that type.
> Any reasons I can't , or is it just something I do wrong?

Another potential way of getting there is to define a table with a
table constraint that gives you what you want...and use the table for
your composite (I usually do this anyways).  This doesn't work either,
because table constraints aren't enforced during casts....maybe they
should be?

merlin