Re: Benchmark comparing PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Benchmark comparing PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Jonah H. Harris <jonah.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Sergio Lopez <sergio.lopez@nologin.es>
> wrote:
>>
>> On the other hand, I've neved said that what I've done is the
>> Perfect-Marvelous-Definitive Benchmark, it's just a personal project,
>> and I don't have an infinite amount of time to invest on it.
>
> When you make comments such as "As for databases, both Oracle and MySQL show
> nice numbers, but it's PostgreSQL who stands in the top, giving consistent
> results with each environment and workload", you should make sure that your
> test is correct.  Otherwise you're making statements without any real
> basis-in-fact.

ISTM you are the one throwing out unsubstantiated assertions without
data to back it up.  OP ran benchmark. showed hardware/configs, and
demonstrated result.  He was careful to hedge expectations and gave
rationale for his analysis methods.

If you think he's wrong, instead of picking on him why don't you run
some tests showing alternative results and publish them...leave off
the oracle results or use a pseudo-name or something.

merlin