Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/26/09, Jonah H. Harris <jonah.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What about a compromise solution: release 8.4 now, then focus on
> > wrapping up the big ticket items that didn't make it into 8.4 into a
> > quick (as possible) 8.5 release.  This means no fests.
>
> That would depend on timing then.  Trying to get people to upgrade to 8.4 is
> going to be difficult if they're waiting on Hot Standby, which means less
> in-the-field testing of the 8.4 code base until the 8.5 release.  Similarly,
> if we're looking at a quick 8.5 around September/October (having no commit
> fests), that means it will probably be early 2011 for 8.6, which is fairly
> unacceptable for the other patches currently in the queue.

I think that's baked in the cards no matter what.  IMO, the issue is
that code to review is building up faster than it is getting reviewed,
so maybe a festless release is nesessary to flush out the difference
(along with the other held over patches from 8.4).

The other thing going on here is that HS is extremely important to the
project.  If it was up to me, 100% effort would be geared to getting
it out as quickly as possible.  I'm just looking for a way to get HS
in the hands of people as quickly as possible that is fair to
everybody.  (I would actually prefer to hold 8.4 for it, but that's
starting to sound unrealistic based on Tom's comments).

merlin