Re: AIX 4.3 getaddrinfo busted - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: AIX 4.3 getaddrinfo busted
Date
Re: AIX 4.3 getaddrinfo busted  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
>  Right at the moment I'm wondering why we are going to change the code
>  now to support a ten-year-old OS version that evidently no one has tried
>  to use Postgres on before.

I'd like to address this observation.  You may have noticed that eSilo
has been contributing a number of patches to Postgres involving legacy
systems.  Understandably, there is very little overlap between modern
versions of Postgres and these aging unixen.  However, quite a few of
these systems are still in production serving legacy applications.

eSilo provides backup software.  Based on customer feedback we came up
with a list of systems that are under-represented by current backup
solutions in the industry .  For various reasons, we decided to
involve libpq in our backup client and market aggressively to
platforms for which there are very few backup options.  libpq is quite
portable, but there are a few understandable nits that have popped up
here and there over time for older systems.  We are providing fixes
for those nits to the community.

merlin