Re: Problems with memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Problems with memory
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Pau Marc Munoz Torres
<paumarc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>  I'm setting up a big database , and when i say big, i mean BIG, the problem
> with this is that some times, when a do a query the database run out of
> memory, so I really need to increase the amount of memory reserved to
> postgress almost 10x, could anyone tell me how can i do that? i mean, what
> configuration file and variables do i have to modify?

All available memory of the machine is automatically reserved for the
database by the operating system, more or less.   At most you can
reserve memory for certain particular operations of the database at
the expense of others.

merlin