Re: PostgresSQL vs. Informix - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: PostgresSQL vs. Informix
Date
List pgsql-general
On Nov 28, 2007 10:32 AM, Chad Hendren <Chad.Hendren@sun.com> wrote:
> PostgreSQL Team,
>
> I have a large OEM customer (one of the top 8 for Sun worldwide) that is
> considering embedding PostgreSQL into the core of their primary product
> instead of Informix.  He is trying to build his case for this change.
> Do we have anything that I can forward to him (something like the
> presentation you did at CEC?) to help him build his case?
>
> This is an urgent request from my customer given that his timeline is
> relatively short.  Any help you can give me will be very appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chad Hendren
>
> Original question:
>
> Have you seen any studies (either by Sun or others) that compares
> PostgresSQL to other commercial database software (Informix, Oracle,
> Sybase,etc.)? I am interested seeing a feature by feature comparison of
> PostgresSQL and Informix.

there was a very excellent case study, written by cc'd person, that is
unhappily not available at the moment.  see:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2005-08/msg00147.php
(maybe try contacting author or the open source db migration people)

see also:
http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2004/results/res2007q3/

also consider that sun is backing postgresql, and that informix is
looking more and more like a legacy platform.  not to bash informix
though...but if postgresql meets your requirements it is a great db to
ship out for licensing reasons, etc.

merlin