Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
Re: Linux distro  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
Re: Linux distro  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 8/2/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 08/01/07 10:37, Owen Hartnett wrote:

> >> I agree totally. Debian in a server configuration is quite easy to get
> >> started with, and is rock solid. My first Linux "test server" (my old
> >> Pentium 133 MHz desktop) way back in 2002 ran Debian Woody. I kept it
> >> running until it died from old age a couple of years ago. Later I fell
> >> in love with Gentoo. But if I'd have to run a server with maximum
> >> stability and uptime, I think that I'd still prefer Debian.
> >
> > As an alternative viewpoint, I've been running the latest postgres on
> > Mac OS X Server 10.4, and it's been great for me.  It was my first time
> > using a server, and my first serious use of postgres (although I have
> > had a lot of previous unix experience.)  All the power of unix, all the
> > ease of the Macintosh (and it's server installation gives you lots of
>
> Pardon me for being the contrarian, but why does a server need a
> GUI?  Isn't that just extra RAM & CPU overhead that could be more
> profitably put to use powering the application?

A server with a GUI sitting on a login screen is wasting zero
resources.  Some enterprise management tools are in java which require
a GUI to use so there is very little downside to installing X, so IMO
a lightweight window manager is appropriate...a full gnome is maybe
overkill.  Obviously, you want to turn of the 3d screen saver :-)

merlin