Re: Performance Optimization for Dummies 2 - the SQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Performance Optimization for Dummies 2 - the SQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/3/06, Carlo Stonebanks <stonec.register@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Some very helpful people had asked that I post the troublesome code that was
> generated by my import program.
>
> I installed a SQL log feature in my import program. I have
> posted samples of the SQL statements that cause the biggest delays.

explain analyze is more helpful because it prints the times.

sample 1, couple questions:
what is the purpose of limit 1?
if you break up the 'or' which checks facility and address into two
separate queries, are the two queries total times more, less, or same
as the large query.

merlin