Re: increasing shared buffers: how much should be removed - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: increasing shared buffers: how much should be removed
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 9/1/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> >> I think 'shared buffers' is one of the most overrated settings from a
> >> performance standpoint.  however you must ensure there is enough for
> >> things the server does besides caching.  It used to be a bigger deal
> >> than it is in modern versionf of postgresql modern operating systems.
>
> Previous to 8.1 I would agree with you, but as of 8.1 it is probably the
> most underrated.

really? what are the relative advantages of raising shared buffers?  I
was thinking maybe there might be less context switches in high load
environments...I'm really curious what you have to say here.

merlin