Re: Well, Pervasive is now out.... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Well, Pervasive is now out....
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/3/06, Joe Audette <joe_audette@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My guess is what this really means is they weren't making money on it. Its a community friendly spin to suggest that
communitysupport is so good that not many companies will pony up for commercial support. My guess is that its fairly
accuratethough. A company is only going to use postgreSQL if their dba is behind it and for that to be the case the dba
isprobably pretty comfortable with their own knowledge backed by community support.
> If its not the dba who is promoting pgsql in the company then it is likely an exec who sees it as a way to save money
andlikely doesn't want to pay for support for a free product.

i know of at least one case where the non technical phb said 'use pg'
to save 70k in ms sql licensing fees for a quad server running
enterprise.  developers resisted, being very comfortable with ms but
the project was ultimately a success despite initial problems with the
odbc driver.

merlin