Re: UFS 2: soft updates vs. gjournal (AKA: Choosing a filesystem 2.) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Claus Guttesen
Subject Re: UFS 2: soft updates vs. gjournal (AKA: Choosing a filesystem 2.)
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Should I use gjournal on FreeBSD 7? Or just soft updates?
>
> Here is my opinion: I suspect that gjournal would be much slower than
> soft updates. Also gjournal is relatively new code, not very well
> tested. But gjournal is better when the system crashes. Although I have
> heard that sometimes gjournal will crash the system itself. There are
> more pros for soft updates I would pefer that. But please let me
> know if I'm wrong.

If softupdates suites your needs why not just use that? :-) Is
performance adequate with softupdates? I have a 103 GB db on FreeBSD
7.0 and softupdates and it has survived one unplanned stop when we had
a power-outage lasting some hours.

--
regards
Claus

the gentler gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare