Re: How can we get the word out about the change in version numbering? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Damien Clochard
Subject Re: How can we get the word out about the change in version numbering?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 16.08.2016 01:21, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Folks,
>
> If you'd somehow missed it, we are going from three-part to two-part
> version numbers.  That is, the next release is 9.6.0, but the major
> release after that is 10.0.  10.1 will be the first patch release on
> version 10.
>
> This means that we have a year to make sure that every driver author
> and
> every body who has some hackish script parsing the version number
> scheme
> finds out about it -- before 10.0 is released.
>
> Ideas?

If the ubuntu community does a great job to advertize every release they
have. Whatever we may think of their release schedule and name scheme,
for each new version they manage to spread the word at a large scale.

One reason is the visual communication the produce. For instance :

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ytPzyzDONHI/VxpFRzZ-4dI/AAAAAAAAGz8/ck_rx9LijYQjEESsfZL5vuH-tiU-0_0mwCLcB/s400/yak-597862_960_720%2B%25281%2529.jpg

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/YAKKETY-MOUNTAINS-750x356.jpg

http://www.spreadubuntu.org/files/imagecache/-t/Quetzal.png

This may seem very simple, but an image is a powerful tool for
decentralized communication, people can either

   - easily add it to a blog post,
   - insert it on a slide at the end of a talk,
   - make a poster for conferences and meetups,
   - put a recurrent banner on top of a website

The images also increase the "retweet rates" on social media....

I think we could create a simple visual identity for the version switch
and encourage everyone in the community to promote PostgreSQL 10 with
the dual goal of warning driver  authors and regular users too.

--
Damien Clochard