Re: default_tablespace in 8.3 postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: default_tablespace in 8.3 postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/15/19 12:39 PM, Julie Nishimura wrote:
> Hello, I have created new tablespace on a new drive yesterday and
> modified some of existing databases to use this tablespace as default,
> like this:
> ALTER DATABASE xxx
> SET default_tablespace = 'vol4';
>
> So, this command did not physically move any existing tables/indices on
> the database xxx, but all new objects are currently being created on
> this tablespace (this was expected).
>
> Please note, I also altered "template1" database to use new volume, to
> ensure all new databases will be created there by default.
>
> ALTER DATABASE template1
> SET default_tablespace = 'vol4';
>
> However, I have not yet modified postgresql.conf, and our settings for
> default_tablespace and temp_tablespaces still set to use "vol3", because
> I was planning to leave some of databases out of vol4 (newer
> tablespace), since I did NOT altered their default_tablespace, and it
> was previously set to vol3.
>
> Today, checking which tables were created where, I noticed, that all new
> tables, including tables from those databases which I did not alter to
> use new volume as default_tablespace, have been created on new volume 4.
> If I select from pg_database, I can see all my user databases have
> default_tablespace as vol4 (newer tablespace), even though I did not
> modify it. So, my question is, could altering "template1" database
> change default tablespace for all existing databases on a server???

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/manage-ag-tablespaces.html

"If a database is created without specifying a tablespace for it, it
uses the same tablespace as the template database it is copied from."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com