Re: [GENERAL] psql - looking in wrong place for socket - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Clark
Subject Re: [GENERAL] psql - looking in wrong place for socket
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/17/2017 10:14 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 03/17/2017 06:58 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
On 03/17/2017 09:49 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 03/17/2017 06:42 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
Hi List,

I am running postgresql 8.4.20 on CentOS 6. Things have been running fine for a long time
then I rebooted. Postgres came up but when I tried to connect with psql on the local machine
I got

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory       Is the server running locally and accepting       connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

The socket is actually being created (and always has been) in /tmp
So you built Postgres from source?
No - it is installed using yum.

It looks like the problem is someone loaded postgresql-9.5 and psql was
using:
psql    14971 postgres  mem    REG                8,4   193296   950807
/usr/pgsql-9.5/lib/libpq.so.5.8

the libpq from 9.5.

By removing the ln and using

# rm /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432
rm: remove symbolic link `/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432'? y

$ psql
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory       Is the server running locally and accepting       connections on Unix domain socket
"/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64 psql
psql (8.4.20)
You probably already know, but 8.4 is ~2 1/2 past EOL. Also the last
release in that series was 8.4.22.

Hmm... maybe you missed the fact I am running CentOS 6. It appears 8.20 is the latest official release.

$ rpm -qa|grep postgres
postgresql-server-8.4.20-6.el6.x86_64

$ sudo yum update postgresql-server
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
Setting up Update Process
 * atomic: www6.atomicorp.com
 * base: repo1.dal.innoscale.net
 * elrepo: iad.mirror.rackspace.com