Re: What is the best plan to upgrade PostgreSQL from an ancient version? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From marcin mank
Subject Re: What is the best plan to upgrade PostgreSQL from an ancient version?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
> My notion is to do a character mode database dump as SQL statements and
> then load into the new version by execution of psql against the sql
> STATEMENTS.
>
> What are the "gotchas" we can expect with this approach?
>
> When I say 'ancient' I mean v7.1.3 and the target is v8.3.5.

One gotcha is that some ancient versions (and I think 7.1 is one of
these) used to silently truncate varchar values that don`t fit into
the declared field width, while recent versions throw errors. Check if
Your apps don`t depend on this behaviour.

good luck
Marcin