Add columns to table; insert values based on row - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Add columns to table; insert values based on row
Date
Re: Add columns to table; insert values based on row
List pgsql-general
   I have the following code in a script:

alter table stations add column start_date date;
alter table stations add column end_date date;
alter table stations add column howmany integer;
alter table stations add column bin_col char(8);

insert into stations (start_date, end_date, howmany, bin_col) values ( )
   select site_nbr from stations
     where site_nbr = ' ';

   The table has 82 rows. Is there a more elegant way to insert data specific
to a site_nbr other than 82 repetitions of the insert statement? (I suspect
not, but I might be wrong and learn something valuable by asking.)

Regards,

Rich