Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016, Alban Hertroys wrote:

> pg_upgrade migrates your databases from your old (9.5) cluster to the
> new (9.6) one. Initdb doesn't do that.

Alban,

   That's what I assumed to be the case.

> If your 9.6 database does indeed contain your databases, then something
> must have done the pg_upgrade for you. Perhaps the slackware package
> script does something like that,

   No, it only builds the package. I manually install it and run initdb.

> What I think what happened is that you are using the new pg 9.6 psql
> binary to list the databases in your old 9.5 cluster.

   Not only list them, but access them from the command line. This is what
I'm trying to understand.

   Regardless, I'll stop the running postgres, run pg_upgrade, then start it
from the /9.6/data/ directory.

Thanks,

Rich