Re: [ADMIN] Using Postgresql as application server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Using Postgresql as application server
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 14 Aug 2011, c k wrote:

> I would like to generate content dynamically. I want minimum developers to
> be required, simple and powerful security and administration, and most
> importantly ability to respond to changes.
>
> For my application the most important part is generating dynamic content.

Chaitanya,

   There are three major components of a database application: the dbms back
end (postgres in this case), middleware (in the language of your choice),
and the UI. The UI will use apache to display pages and accept user input.
The middleware contains business logic and is the interface between the user
and the back end.

   Each (scripting) language has application development frameworks. My
partner (a highly experienced software engineer) is using Ruby on Rails for
one of our projects. It is powerful but has a long learning curve and you
need to do everything the Rails way. In python (my scripting language of
choice) there's django, turbogears, pylon, and probably many more.

   Depending on the approach you select you may be able to meet all your
desired attributes as above. What you might consider doing is list those
requirements in order of importance and focus on meeting the most important
ones. This may mean droping other preferences (e.g., minumum number of
developers unless you have a long lead time for this project).

Rich