Re: scheduler - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From david@lang.hm
Subject Re: scheduler
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Adrian Moisey wrote:

> Hi
>
>>> Which scheduler is recommended for a box that is dedicated to running
>>> postgres?
>>>
>>> I've asked google and found no answers.
>>
>> Is it the OS itself?
>
> Yes, in linux.  I've found that cfq or deadline is best, but I haven't seen
> anyone try a benchmark

it also depends on your hardware. if you have a good battery-backed cache
on your I/O system you may be best off with 'none' (or simple elevator, I
don't remember the exact name)

the more complexity in your I/O that the kernek oesn't know about, the
less likely it is to make the right decision.

David Lang