Re: Linux LSB init script - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Linux LSB init script
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> My counter-argument to that would be that the SuSE distribution's
> version of PostgreSQL is so out-of-date that we don't install it.

Given that it's also RPM based, is it possible to get SuSE in sync so that
it shares the same init script as RHEL?  Devrim is in the middle of a
major overhaul of the RHEL/Fedora init script lately, adding better
support for multiple postmasters and the like, and I'd think that SuSE
users would like to take advantage of that work too.

It seems to me that the only popular Linux versions that people use for
PostgreSQL work that don't have active init script maintainers are SuSE
and Gentoo.  If your LSB-based approach could be made to work on both
those, that would be a nice step forward.  I don't know what the state of
the init script that Gentoo ships is though, I'm guessing it may diverge
from the standard approach due to its slots implementation.