Re: Performance comparison between Postgres and Greenplum - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Performance comparison between Postgres and Greenplum
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Suvankar Roy<suvankar.roy@tcs.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> This is what I have got -
>> In Greenplum, version PostgreSQL 8.2.13 (Greenplum Database 3.3.0.1 build 4) on
>> i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
>
>> In Postgres, version PostgreSQL 8.3.7, compiled by Visual C++ build 1400
>> (1 row)
>
> I wouldn't expect 8.2.x to outrun 8.3.x

And you can't directly compare performance of a system running Linux with
one running Windows, even if they're the same hardware.  Theoretically,
Linux should have an advantage, but only if you're accounting for a whole
stack of other variables.