Re: libpq host/hostaddr/conninfo inconsistencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: libpq host/hostaddr/conninfo inconsistencies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Robert,

>>> (2) you are not against improving the documentation, although you find it
>>> clear enough already, but you agree that some people could get confused.
>>>
>>> The attached patch v4 only improves the documentation so that it reflects
>>> what the implementation really does. I think it too bad to leave out the
>>> user-friendly aspects of the patch, though.
>>
>> Robert, any chance you could opine on the doc patch, given that's your
>> suggested direction?
>
> I find it to be a more change than we really need, and I'm not sure
> how much it helps to clarify the issue at hand. Here is a simpler
> change which seems like it might do the trick (or maybe not, let's see
> what others think).

It is a minimal diff on "hostaddr" documentation which clarifies what is
its intended use. I'm okay with it.

However, it does not discuss that an IP can (and should, IMHO) be given
through "host" if the point is to specify the target by its IP rather than
a lookup shortcut.

--
Fabien.