Re: pgbench doc fix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: pgbench doc fix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Tatsuo-san,

> pgbench doc (and some comments in pgbench.c) regarding "-M prepared"
> option is not quite correct. [...] Actually "extended" mode uses
> prepared statements too.

Ok, I understand that you mean that PQsendQueryParams uses an unamed query
internally to separate parsing & execution, which seems indeed to be the
case by looking at the libpq client-side code.

However, if I'm not mistaken, the params version always sends and possibly
reparses the query each time (is there a server side cache to avoid
re-parsing? a quick scan in the sources did not return a clear answer to
this question, but I think to recall that the answer is yes).

> Patch attached.

Patch applies cleanly, compiles, doc generation ok, global & local tests
are ok.

I'm fine having a more precise wording.

Maybe I would have also insisted on the fact that there is an explicit vs
an implicit PREPARE, if it relies on a server-side cache. The "extended"
documentation entry does not say that it is prepared.

I created an entry in the CF and marked the patch as ready anyway.

--
Fabien.