Re: libpq should not look up all host addresses at once - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: libpq should not look up all host addresses at once
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Garick,

>> I read the rational of the host/hostaddr artificial mapping. I cannot say
>> I'm thrilled with the result: I do not really see a setting where avoiding a
>> DNS query is required but which still needs a hostname for auth... If you
>> have GSSAPI or SSPI then you have an underlying network, in which a dns
>> query should be fine.
>
> FWIW, I think this is useful even it will be uncommon to use.  I run
> some HA services here and I find I use this kind of functionality all
> the time to test if a standby node functioning properly.

Ok, I understand that you want to locally override DNS results for
testing purposes. Interesting use case.

> Anyway, if it's not a big burden, I suggest you keep it, IIUC.

I would not suggest to remove the feature, esp if there is a reasonable
use case.

> This kind of thing is really handy especially since today's cloudy-stuff
> means one often gets all-the-nat whether one wants it or not.

Yep, NAT, another possible use case.

So it is a useful feature for specialized use cases! I just lack
imagination:-) Thanks for the explanations.

Maybe I'll try to just improve the the documentation.

--
Fabien.