Re: documentation update for doc/src/sgml/func.sgml - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: documentation update for doc/src/sgml/func.sgml
Date
List pgsql-hackers

>> I do not understand why the last sentence in the first paragraph about
>> bitwise ops is put there with rounding issues, which seem unrelated. It
>> seems to me that it belongs to the second paragraph which is about
>> bitwise operators.
>
> That's the part which came from Josh Berkus. We discussed this patch on IRC.

Hmmm. I do think the last sentence belongs to the next paragraph. The
identity of the author does not change my opinion on that point:-) If you
have another argument, maybe.

>> The wikipedia link can be simplified to a much cleaner:
>>
>>      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_floating_point#Rounding_rules
>
> It can, but then you always refer to the latest version of the Wikipedia
> page, which might or might not be a good idea. The link in the patch points
> to the current version from yesterday, no matter how many changes are
> introduced afterwards.

I doubt that IEEE floating point rounding rules are likely to change much,
so referencing the latest version is both safe & cleaner. Also, wikipedia
would change its implementation from php to something else (well,
unlikely, probably as unlikely as a change in IEEE fp rounding rules:-).

--
Fabien.