Re: Enhancing pgbench parameter checking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: Enhancing pgbench parameter checking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Tatsuo-san,

> Thanks for the review. I have registered it to Aug Commit fest.
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=1532
>
>> I'm not sure of the variable name "is_non_init_parameter_set". I would
>> suggest "benchmarking_option_set"?
>
> Ok, I will replace the variable name as you suggested.
>
>> Also, to be consistent, maybe it should check that no initialization-specific option are set when benchmarking.
>
> Good suggesition. Here is the v2 patch.

I applied it without problem and tested it.

* It seems that -c is ignored, the atoi() line has been removed.

* Option -q is initialization specific, but not detected as such like the
other, although there is a specific detection later. I think that it would
be better to use the systematic approach, and to remove the specific
check.

* I would name the second boolean "initialization_option_set", as it is
describe like that in the documentation.

* I would suggest the following error messages: "some options cannot be used in initialization (-i) mode\n" and "some
optionscannot be used in benchmarking mode\n".

Although these messages are rough, I think that they are enough and avoid
running something unexpected, which is your purpose.

Find attached a patch which adds these changes to your current version.

--
Fabien.