Re: parametric block size? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: parametric block size?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> The basic claim that I'm making wrt to this benchmark is that there may
>> be a significant impact on performance with changing the block size,
>> thus this is worth investigating. I think this claim is quite safe,
>> even if the benchmark is not the best possible.
>
> Well, you went straight to making it something adjustable at run time.

What I really did was to go straight to asking the question:-)

Up to now I have two answers, or really caveats:
 - a varying blocksize implementation should have minimum effects   on performance for user of the default settings.
 - the said benchmark may not be that meaningful, so the performance   impact is to be accessed more thoroughly.

> And I don't see that as being warranted at this point. But further
> benchmarks sound like a good idea.

Yep. A 10% potential performance impact looks worth the investigation.

--
Fabien.