Re: pgbench --tuple-size option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: pgbench --tuple-size option
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>> I don't think it's beneficial to put this into pgbench. There really
>>> isn't a relevant benefit over using a custom script here.
>>
>> The scripts to run are the standard ones. The difference is in the
>> *initialization* phase (-i), namely the filler attribute size. There is no
>> custom script for initialization in pgbench, so ISTM that this argument does
>> not apply here.
>
> The custom initialization is to run a manual ALTER after the
> initialization.

Sure, it can be done this way.

I'm not sure about the implication of ALTER on the table storage, thus I
prefer all benchmarks to run exactly the same straightforward way in all
cases so as to avoid unwanted effects on what I'm trying to measure, which
is already noisy and unstable enough.

--
Fabien.